Ian Hewson is a Biological Oceanographer working on the impacts of viruses on aquatic biogeochemistry. He obtained his B.Sc (Hons) in Botany from the University of Queensland in 1997, then his PhD in Marine Environmental Biology from the University of Southern California in 2005. He was a postdoctoral associate in the Department of Ocean Sciences at the University of California, Santa Cruz from 2005 - 2008 before coming to Cornell. Dr Hewson is the Director for Undergraduate Studies and Program Coordinator for Marine Biology at Cornell.
Marine Microbiology, Marine Ecology, Biological Oceanography, and Marine Science
Outreach and Extension Focus
High school student and teacher training in aquatic microbiology
Marine biology, marine ecology, biological oceanography and environmental virology
- Hanson, B. T., Hewson, I., & Madsen, E. L. (2014). Metaproteomic survey of six aquatic habitats: Discovering the identities of microbial populations active in biogeochemical cycling. Microbial Ecology. 67:520-539.
- Dunlap, D. S., Ng, T. F., Rosario, K., Barbosa, J. G., Greco, A. W., Breitbart, M., & Hewson, I. (2013). Discovery of viruses in marine copepods. PNAS: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 110:1375-1380.
- Wilhelm, M., & Hewson, I. (2012). Characterization of thrombolitic bioherm cyanobacterial assemblages in a meromictic marl lake (Fayetteville Green Lake, New York). Geomicrobiology Journal. 29:727-732.
- Hewson, I., Barbosa, J. G., Brown, J. M., Donelan, R. P., Eaglesham, J. B., Eggleston, E. M., & LaBarre, B. A. (2012). Temporal dynamics and decay of putatively allochthonous and autochthonous viral genotypes in contrasting freshwater lakes. AEM: Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 78:6582-6591.
- Hewson, I., Brown, J. M., Burge, C. A., Couch, C. S., LaBarre, B. A., Mouchka, M. E., Naito, M., & Harvell, C. D. (2012). Description of viral assemblages associated with the Gorgonia ventalina holobiont. Coral Reefs. 31:487Ð491.